Manager at a restaurant in a hotel pt. 2

     After their first encounter, it was a while before they had met again. Carla had seen him leaving a few times through the window at her job, or catching an uber just as she was leaving the bank, but no encounters like the first. She decided to go back over there for lunch one afternoon when Connie was working and did some research of her own.

“Hey, Connie,” she said as she grabbed a seat.

“Hey, girl! You getting your regular?” she asked

“Um, today I’ll just do a coffee, I’m not really hungry. Plus I’m off from my second job today, so I’m just gonna run to the grocery store after this and make some food at home.” Connie nodded and turned to walk away when Carla called her back.

“Actually, I have a question. About Thomas? He’s the manager, right?” She knew the answer but was just looking for validation. Connie couldn’t help but give the biggest grin.

“Ooooo yeeeees. Why what do you want to know?” Connie backtracked and was now leaning over the counter, and she and Carla were face to face. 

Carla rolled her eyes and let out a laugh before she continued prodding. 

“No I mean, he’s … handsome, right? I mean most people would see him and say that he’s a handsome guy. Objectively speaking.” Carla was flushed, but she already let the cat out of the bag. Connie chucked at how nervous and awkward Carla was being.

“Girl I have only ever seen you come in here and get straight to the point when it comes to your food order. I’m seeing a whole other side of you today.” Connie laughed but she remained engaged in conversation. 

“He just seems sweet is all I’m saying and last time I was here he said you told him about me, so that made me think he was asking about me? Did he?” She looked hopefully at Connie. She knew what she wanted to hear, but was also prepared for the worst even though she had no idea what the worst could possibly be. 

“Yeah, he did. He saw us talking and he asked me how I knew you. I told him you come in here between shifts and that you were grabbing lunch before you headed to your second job. When he asked me what you ordered, he told me to upgrade you to a large coffee, and that he would bring everything out to you. Thomas is really nice, but that’s the first time I’ve ever seen him upgrade an order for no reason. Usually, it’s only if the customer complains or a special occasion. Something like that.” 

This information made Carla feel good and warm inside. She wasn’t sure what possessed her to stop in the other day since it had been a while since she had, but she was glad she did. 

“When did he become the manager? Wasn’t it Rico for a while?” Carla wasn’t finished gathering all of her information. 

“Yeah but he quit. Thomas’ cousin is actually the owner, and he was also looking for a job around the same time Rico left so it worked out. The day you came, he had only been here about a month and things have already started to turn around, so I hope he stays for a while.”

“Yeah,” Carla said in agreement. “Yeah me too.” She let out a sigh, before grabbing her bag and standing up from her seat. “Alright Connie, I’m gonna head out.”

“Wait but what about your coffee?” She asked.

“I’m alright, don’t worry about it. Thank you though, I’ll see you later.”

“Bye,” Connie called after her as she walked out. 

Carla was excited about the news she gathered, and even more excited to see Thomas again. She didn’t know when that would be, because their schedules haven’t seemed to line up again like they did that day. As she headed towards the train, she started taking her headphones out of her bag and before she was able to pick her song of choice, she heard her name.

“Carla! Hey. Carla!” Thomas had just pulled up in front of the restaurant about a block behind her and he caught her just as she was about to turn the corner. She stopped in disbelief but was ultimately overcome with joy, as she turned and walked back towards him. 

“Hey, stranger! I just left here”, she said gesturing to the restaurant. “Are you clocking in?”

“No, actually. I left my wallet here last night, I just came by to pick it up. I’m off today.”

She knew it was true because he was in more relaxed attire, not his regular work clothes that Carla was used to seeing him in. It wasn’t a button-down and slacks, but it also didn’t make him any less attractive. 

“You on your way to your second job?”, he asked her.

“No, I’m actually off today too. Yeah, the office is closed for cleaning so no work for this girl”, she said as she simultaneously pointed to herself with both thumbs and instantly regretted it in the same moment. But it was too late. Thomas had seen and even though he looked at her a bit puzzled, something about it made him laugh.

“Um alright. Well, what are you up to for the rest of the afternoon? Are you free?” Thomas was collected on the outside, but on the inside, he was praying she would say yes.

“I’m just going to the grocery store and then heading home so I’m mostly free, yeah.”

“Oh, okay. You know what, let me just run in and get my wallet and I’ll take you”, he suggested with a grin.

“What? No, you don’t have to do that. It’s so boring.” She wanted to be polite so he didn’t feel obligated to perform such a benign task with her, but she also couldn’t believe she was passing up the opportunity she had been waiting for.

“No, really it’s fine. Plus that way you don’t have to take your grocery bags on the train, I can just drop you home. Please, I want to.” He had both hands pressed against his chest with an expectant look on his face and Carla was convinced. 

“Okay. Okay, yeah actually that would be great”, she told him.

“Yeah? Amazing. Okay, stay right here I’ll be right back.” Thomas turned to run inside and Carla stood there for a moment with a smile on her face, still not sure what had just happened. She looked up when she saw him running back and through the window, she could see Connie looking out. She had a big smile on her face and was fist-pumping in support and admiration. Carla tried to contain her laughter but she couldn’t help but to smile back and wave.

“Whew. Okay,” Thomas said as he caught his breath. “You ready to go?”

“Yeah, I’m ready.” Thomas walked towards his car and Carla followed behind. He opened the passenger door for her and she nodded and smiled as she took her seat. Thomas made his way to the driver’s side giving one last look to check for traffic. He got in and together they pulled off.     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We rode the R train to Bay ridge pt. 1

K, miss our weekend endeavors. L pt 1

K, miss our weekend endeavors. L pt2