We rode the R train the Bay ridge pt. 2

 "Bro, I'm telling you. I have to find her." 

About a week later, Nick still couldn't get this beautiful stranger out of his head and he couldn't stop talking about this life-altering experience as he sat across from Jessie, who was trying to decide on his lunch order. 

    "Why do you have to find her?" he replied, not looking up from the menu. "Like what happens if you don't?"

Nick let out a sigh. "I just do. She was gorgeous, man and I really feel like ... " he paused and let out a breath. "I really feel like I missed out on someone great."

Jessie looked up over the top of his menu, the rest of his face still covered. They held a strong stare briefly before Jessie let out a laugh breaking the silence.

"I knew I shouldn't have told you!" Nick said, feeling embarrassed about his moment of vulnerability.

"Come on! A nod bro? You feel like you missed out on this spectacular connection because you shared a nod? With a stranger? In New York?! I mean I know it's been a while but has it really been that long?"

"Whatever man. Let's just drop it." Nick slumped back in his chair and picked up his menu, pretending to browse, because he really wasn't all that hungry.

"Listen." Jessie started, as he leaned in closer to his friend. "I'm sure she was beautiful. I believe you, I really do. But you gotta drop it. The chances of you running into her again are a million to one." He sat back as he simultaneously spoke to Nick and scanned the menu. 

"Why don't you join one of those dating sites?", he suggested. "Maybe you'll find her on there."

Nick was scrolling aimlessly through his phone at this point, when he responded without looking up.

"Yeah", he said. "Yeah, maybe I will." 

"Hey guys, welcome in. Are you ready for me to take your order or do you need another minute?"

The waitress had arrived at the perfect time, breaking up the tension and allowing for the rest of the afternoon to commence. 

Jessie responded. "Yea I'm ready, I know what I want. Nick?"

Nick was looking back at his menu when he started to speak. "Ummm. Yea, I think I'm ready. I'll have the ..." 

Nick looked up to complete his order and time stood still. The waitress looked away from her pad and they locked eyes. She let out a brief awkward laugh before looking over at Jessie to confirm the state of his friend. 

"Nick!" Jessie said, trying to get his attention. 

"I - I'm sorry." He was stammering. All of a sudden all the saliva in his mouth had evaporated and his heart had gone into overtime.  

"Were you on the R train? About a week ago?" he asked hesitantly.

"What?" the waitress responded, obviously puzzled but still somewhat intrigued.

"No fucking way," Jessie said softly as his eyes raced back and forth between Nick and the waitress.

"The R train? Last week Friday? Around 2am? I had on a yellow beanie and yellow sweats. And you had on a gray peacoat and ..."

"Jordan's." They said it together.

"Yea", she continued, letting out a laugh. "Yea that was me. Wow, small world."

"Isn't it?" Nick said smiling with relief. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Nick."

"Hi, Nick. I'm Abigail." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We rode the R train to Bay ridge pt. 1

K, miss our weekend endeavors. L pt 1

K, miss our weekend endeavors. L pt2